Monday, January 2, 2012

Eggnog ice cream, and holidays round-up

Happy New Year! I'll start out 2012 with a post that's out of order in all sorts of ways. (a) I have eggnog in the house because it was brought to my Christmas Eve gingerbread-pirate-ship-making brunch, from which I neglected to post the gingerbread. I don't usually like eggnog, but I do like this ice cream. (b) The ice cream features little crunchy caramelized marzipan-marmalade-currant bits that leaked out of some yeasted rugelach I made in early December, using the marzipan Toni made when she was here, neither of which I've posted. The rugelach were good, but vastly more work than my usual rugelachs for a result that's not demonstrably better. (c) The intended purpose for this ice cream is to accompany Lester and Alan's Christmas pudding, which has now been completely and happily consumed (but there's still a pint of ice cream left!).

Besides that, the holidays featured a visit from Sarah, including a great trip down to the Monterey Aquarium to see some particularly awesome sea creatures and to Crystal Fish to eat some particularly delicious ones. There's been lots of bread baking, as I mentioned in the last post, but it keeps not being quite as good as it should be.

And now, ice cream!

1.5 c eggnog
3 egg yolks
1/2 c sugar
2 c cream
1 T amaretto
about 1/2 c of those marzipan-marmalade bits, or something else appropriately crunchy and Christmas-flavored

Warm the eggnog in a small saucepan, and meanwhile whisk together the egg yolks and sugar. Slowly stir in the hot eggnog, then pour the mixture back into the saucepan and heat, stirring, until thick. Strain into a bowl, stir in the cream and amaretto, and refrigerate until cold. Churn in the ice cream maker, adding the bits near the end. Makes about 5 cups, more than enough to go with a good-sized Christmas pudding.

No comments:

Post a Comment